Kummersee 1401-1774

In the Hinterpasseier between Moso/Moos and Corvara/Rabenstein where the Seefhof is located today, there once was the Passeier Wildsee lake. This lake formed way back in 1401, caused by a landslide of the Gspeller mountain, which formed a barrier across the narrow valley and blocked the flow of the Passer river, which resulted in an artificial lake. The lake was approximately 2 km long, 300 m wide and around 40 metres deep. Due to its eight devastating floods, it became the so-called Kummersee (lake of sorrow). Kummersee existed for 373 years, from 1401 to 1774. When it first flooded on 22 September 1419, a large part of the city of Merano/Meran was devastated and 400 people perished. Then the lake flooded again in 1503, 1512, 1572, 1721, 1772, 1773 and 1774. After the last flood, the lake dried up completely.

Kummersee circular route

The Kummersee circular route at Corvara/Rabenstein which is located nearby and worth seeing can easily be accessed by foot. The circular route in Corvara around the Kummersee lake which is shrouded in legend combines experience of nature, the pleasure of hiking and exciting conveyance of history. During the summer months, you can walk around the former lake basin at a height of 1,340 m sea level in approx. two and a half hours, with a difference in altitude of around 350 m. Sturdy footwear and weatherproof gear is recommended. Please obtain information on the snow- and weather conditions. The eight service areas and information terminals located in chronological order around the former lake, interesting facts are provided on various topics on the Kummersee and surrounding area.

Directions: From the Bunker Museum at the edge of the village of Moos/Moso (1,007 m), follow the E5 or the Kummersee circular route no. 43. Walk along the Passer river into the valley for about 1 ½ hours up to the valley basin below Rabenstein. The path leads to the left to the derelict “Seehof”. As the circular route is currently (Autumn 2013) not passable along its entire length, it is recommended to walk back the short stretch from “Seehof” to the road leading to Rabenstein and then to follow the Kummersee circular route (in the opposite direction) into the valley up to Rabenstein village (1,410 m). Information boards are provided along the way. Return to Moos via the same route.

Bild: Kummersee circular route at the ancient lake “Kummersee” in Rabenstein in Hinterpasseier – Grafic: design.buero